Saturday, April 26, 2008

Worship

have you ever thought about worship and why sometimes it's better than others?

worship, in and of itself, comes natural to us. we worship many things on a daily basis. perhaps it's a job. it could be a football team. maybe it's ourselves or someone we love. regardless, most of us are worshiping someone or something on a regular basis. the first step of any 12-step program is acknowledgment of sin. this is a gut-wrenching process of breaking. for most of us, we acknowledge our sin daily. for others, it's not quite as often that we think about it. ultimately, the first step of worship is seeing ourselves for what we are...completely unworthy of anything good from the Father.

ah, but here's the good part...step 2 (acknowledging God). this is where worship becomes real. when we come to a point where we can see God for who He is...the Holiness, the Love, the Glory, and everything else...that's when we can individually, and as a group, enter boldly into His throne-room and sit at His feet. seeing God as He is helps put ourselves in the proper place. there can be no pretense in His presence. pride cannot exist there. control disappears. when we see God in His true relation to us, we have no choice but to worship Him with absolute abandon. my favorite hymn is "It Is Well With My Soul." i sing it all the time...and to me, it's not a sad song. i can worship to that song like no other...especially the 3rd verse. "My sin, oh the bliss of this glorious thought! My sin, not in part, but in whole is nailed to the cross and i bear it no more! Praise the Lord! Praise the Lord, oh my soul!"

those of you who know me well understand
i'm not a "pew jumper." my actions during worship usually appear reserved. it's my nature to be reserved in appearance. that is not indicative of what's going on inside. i encourage each of you to think about these things and when you find yourself in a place of worship, throw yourself into it with absolute abandon. think about what God's done for you in-light (and in spite) of your own depravity. you'll find the worship is sweeter.

just in case you're wondering...the 12 steps are:

1) I admit that I am powerless over things I believe I should control, and my life has become unmanageable.
2) I believe there is a Power greater than myself and that He can restore me to sanity.
3) I make a decision to turn over my will and my life to the care of God.
4) I make a searching and fearless moral inventory of myself.
5) I admit to God, to myself, and to others the exact nature of my wrongs.
6) I am entirely ready for God to remove all these deficits of character.
7) I humbly ask God to remove my shortcomings.
8) I make a list of all those I have harmed, and become willing to make amends to them all.
9) I make direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others.
10) I continue to make moral inventories and promptly admit when I am wrong.
11) I seek through prayer to improve my relationship with God, praying for knowledge of His will and power to carry this out.
12) Having had a spiritual awakening as a result of these steps, I will carry this message to others and practice these principles in all life's affairs.

No comments: