Wednesday, April 15, 2009

The real lesson of "Doubting Thomas"

“Doubting Thomas” really brings up a negative connotation. I find it interesting how the main thing we remember about the disciple Thomas is his doubt. 

John, chapter 20, tells the story of Jesus’ resurrection. We’re told that He appeared to Mary Magdalene first, and then to a group of His followers. We know that not all of the disciples were present when Jesus appeared to the group. While we cannot know for certain who was there, we do know that Thomas wasn’t present. After hearing the eyewitness accounts, Thomas still didn’t believe. He said “I will not believe it until I see the nail marks in his hands and put my finger where the nails were and put my hand into his side." 

A whole week passes, and the followers of Jesus are meeting again, behind locked doors. Suddenly, Jesus appears among them. He approaches Thomas and says, “Put your finger here, and look at my hands. Put your hand here in my side. Stop being an unbeliever and believe." 

Did Jesus admonish Thomas for his doubt? Was he ridiculed for his lack of faith? Absolutely not. Jesus dealt with Thomas in a “whatever it takes” mode. Jesus said “Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed." He did NOT say “Because you had to see me to believe, you are less blessed than those who believe without seeing.”

Thomas wanted to believe. Were that not the case, why would he have still been hanging around with the disciples over a week after Jesus' death? Thomas was desperate to believe, but he needed more than “word of mouth.” Thomas needed a personal encounter with the risen Savior. 

There is no indication that Thomas’ faith was any different (or any less) than anyone else’s. It just took something different to bring Thomas to that point. 

Doubts aren’t evil. Questions aren’t bad. If you have doubts, face them constantly.  If you have questions, keep asking them. 

God may not answer every question you pose to Him, but He will give you what you need if you are sincere...just like Thomas.

1 comment:

Christy said...

I mentioned this the other night that I thought Thomas' reaction to Jesus was different than others who had encountered the Risen Savior. His response wasn't just Rabboni or Lord. It was "My Lord and My God". I love that he made it personal and that he made the connection between Jesus being Lord and GOD. There is no doubt in my mind that his very words there had impact on the other followers of Jesus. It was Jesus' claim to be God that the Jews could not accept and here Thomas echos the truth that Jesus was teaching about who He was. And Thomas takes it another step and claims it personally. Another great indicator of moving away from the need of a earthly high priest to come before God. We now, through Jesus and his work on the cross and the resurrection, have direct access to God.

Nice post, J!!