Monday, March 16, 2009

Grace

When I was 18, I met Craig Sayle and we became fast friends. Craig viewed God differently than anyone I'd ever met. On the subject of grace, Craig explained that salvation wasn't about me, but about Jesus' sacrifice on my behalf. I responded with something like "yeah, when I was lost and didn't deserve His love, He loved me anyway." Craig said "you don't deserve it now, Jason...but He loves you anyway. The only difference is that you've accepted His gift...but you're still undeserving of it. THAT is the beginning of grace."

In the years since, I've seen God's grace demonstrated in more ways than I can count. As my understanding of grace has become clearer, it's become more evident that it's not about me. I am beginning to understand Paul's plea that he decrease and Christ increase in his life. 

If not for the reality of grace, I have no hope. If not for the evidence of grace, I have no peace. If not for the presence of grace,  I have no purpose. Without the example of grace, I don't have the capacity to love.

In short, there's one thing I'm sure of: without grace, I have nothing. If I don't extend grace to others, I cheapen the reality of the grace in which I survive. Unless I share grace, I take for granted the very grace that allows me to take my next breath. 

Life in the reality of absolute grace is a learning, and humbling process. I wish I was farther along than I am.

3 comments:

Christy said...

If not for the reality of grace, I have no hope. If not for the evidence of grace, I have no peace. If not for the presence of grace, I have no purpose. Without the example of grace, I don't have the capacity to love.

I think that is one of the best things I've read in a long time. I've already used a couple of times just talking to people. I give you credit of course!

Christy said...

i'm ready for a new random thought and/or ramblings.

Writer said...

Good stuff. Thanks for visiting my blog. I'll be reading yours and Christy's now.

Blessings,

Les Puryear